The school's vision is to pursue high quality education and contribute to high standards,
by training well-motivated pupils who should achieve their full potential in all
aspects of life.
Even though the MGHS has Christian roots, the school welcomes pupils from all religious
denominations and backgrounds.
Entry Requirements and National Examinations
In order to be eligible for acceptance into the Junior Secondary School program,
pupils must have passed the National Primary School Examination. At the end of the
3 years of J.S.S., pupils take an exam known as the Basic Education Certificate Exam
that qualifies them for entry into the Senior Secondary School Program, further technical
or vocational education or some form of employment.
At the end of three years of Senior Secondary School , pupils then take the West
African Senior School Certificate Examinations that qualify them for tertiary or
higher education at universities, professional schools, polytechnics, technical and
The school offers the following subjects in the school: English, French, Mathematics,
Integrated Science, Computer Studies, Social Studies, Agricultural Science, Business
Studies, Physical Health Education, Practical Art and Religious Moral Education (RME).
The school has the followng facilities; Kitchen, Sport field, Generator, access to
national power, fixed telephone line, photo copier, Toilets, Tap and Tank.
The Methodist Girls’ High School is one of the leading and oldest secondary schools
in Sierra Leone and one of the first few exclusively for girls in Freetown, capital
of Sierra Leone.
The Methodist Girls High School was founded on January 1, 1880, with the objective
of giving women in Sierra Leone a sound Christian education. It started off as the
Wesleyan Educational Female Institute. The actual work of the Institution began under
the supervision of Mrs E. H. C. Weymouth, the first principal. Staff for the school
was recruited from the Wesleyan Deaconess College in England. Mr. James Taylor, a
prominent member of the Wesleyan Missionary Society was the Managing Director. He
worked hard in promoting the well-being of the institution until his death in 1901.
The school was then given to the Wesleyan Missionary Society and Mrs. W. T. Balmer,the
wife of the principal of the Wesleyan Boys High School became the second principal.
In 1905, the name of the School was changed to Wesleyan Girls High School.It was
first in 1932, that the school assumed its present name – The Methodist Girls High
School. In 1880, there were 55 pupils on role; in 1946 there were 155, in 1980, there
were 600, in the year 2000 the count was 1500 and at present there are 2300 pupils
The Methodist Girls High School has, in its existence, sought to reduce the gender
disparity in education, and promote the access of young girls of Sierra Leone to